Skip to Main Content
Jessica G. Abejar

Jubilee Austen

Developed a website for budding developer Jubilee Austen based on a Photoshop design comp (a Skillcrush project).

  • Main Skills & Tools: Adobe Photoshop, HTML5, CSS3 (Responsive Web Design, Media Queries, Flexbox)
  • Other Skills & Tools: Visual Studio Code, Google Fonts, Font Awesome, normalize.css, Chrome DevTools, Git, GitHub, GitHub Pages, W3C HTML & CSS Validation, ChromeVox, VoiceOver, WAVE Accessibility Checker, AChecker, Lighthouse
Screenshot of the Jubilee Austen website

Revamping My First Project

The Jubilee Austen website is probably one of the first projects I had ever completed as part of the Skillcrush Break Into Tech Blueprint. Nearly a year after taking the course and having learned more about front-end web development, I decided to revisit and refactor the Jubilee Austen project.

Quick Fixes

I began with some quick fixes including:

  • removing images that were once used for icons since Font Awesome is now used
  • updating normalize.css
  • adding a meta description
  • removing vendor prefixes for flexbox
  • adding comments in HTML to divide content

Coding the CSS

Since the content remained the same, I largely focused on fixing CSS, specifically its layout. I still wanted to use flexbox, but I especially wanted to remove extraneous <div>s and styling in heading text.

Layouts & Removing Divs

I went section by section to remove extra divs and to work with different flexbox properties. One of my original classes, .flex-container was applied in each section with a few overrides. I first followed that convention but then decided to instead assign an ID to each <section> and style them accordingly. While some sections shared similar properties, I eventually saw that each section had different behavior when moving through browser sizes. So I decided it was easier to assign properties and values directly to each of the three sections.

Styling Across Browsers & Breakpoints

Another challenge that I faced was styling across browsers. The original project design was desktop-only so making it responsive was a challenge. While I already had a responsive design in place, I wanted to refine it. I had one issue with styling for tablets so one solution I had was to create a third breakpoint. I originally had a breakpoint at 940px, switched to 1200px and then later added 940px back in. The added breakpoint was much better for the design, especially for the section with three columns.

QA

While redoing this site was a short project, I made sure to look for any accessibility or performance issues. A few issues included low color contrast and an issue with the old Font Awesome CDN (I later made a quick fix). The markup of the social links can be better as well. But overall, I had a better understanding of semantic HTML this time around and was able to implement them in this update.

In Summary

Refactoring took longer than expected but was a great practice in reviewing code, revisiting legacy code, and working on an existing codebase. I imagine the process of working on a team or contributing to open source would be somewhat similar, and while I still have a lot to work out in regards to my own process of reviewing existing code, I am happy with the result of this first project.